Wednesday 11 July 2012

Evenings whiled...

While my daughter sleeps like a princess during daylight hours, the onset of night induces a restlessness in her, during the sleepless hours of early morning my paranoia speculates as to whether this is all a part of some sinister plot.  During her scheming time she seems most content to lay perched atop my chest, as I sit on the couch.  

During such times I, of course, seek to absorb the atmosphere of the moment - after all, these days will pass all too quickly.  But as the hours roll by I seek other diversions as well.  I’ve been finding some distraction through a variety of iOS games - Ascension, Ticket to Ride Pocket, Neuroshima Hex and more recently - Summoner Wars.  All of these are highly enjoyable and well done ports of their various board game counterparts into digital format.  I shall, perhaps, cover them in more detail in other posts at some future point.  

I’ve also been finding the time to read a little - something I love, but which always seems to be relegated to a ‘later time’ - which too rarely arrives.  Jeeves and Wooster has topped my reading list of late - and has been rather enjoyable.

My lad has been clamouring for attention too, naturally so, now a competitor is upon the scene.  His general volume has increased by several decibels, perhaps several tens of decibels.  He has taken a great interest in my games collection, which is to be much admired of course, unless it means the spreading of pieces left and right across the lounge floor.  



A game he is ready to play, in some fashion resembling that of the intended process, is Loopin’ Louie - a game that is amusing enough for adults to enjoy and is well recommended.  In Loopin’ Louie a motor drives an aeroplane in circles, in so doing it knocks down the rows of chickens. Using a paddle or lever, players attempt to protect their chickens by batting away the aeroplane, thereby causing the aeroplane to swoop and knock the chickens of their opponents down (ideally at least).  



Is it a cerebral test plumbing the breadth and depth of strategic intellect?  No.  But it is a lot of fun, and heartily recommended as a family game.  There is a Toy Story themed version which looks rather amusing, and also seems more widely available - at least in antipodean stores.  Well worth it for amusements sake - whether child or child at heart.


Cheers,
Giles.





2 comments:

  1. Ah, I used to listen to audiobook versions of many of P.G. Wodehouse’s work while commuting to graduate school. Naturally then, much of my time on the road was spent laughing out loud. Not sure how you manage to keep from doing that, seeing how you have a baby there trying to sleep. Might I recommend some Proust? That way both of you could get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe! Anything too dull would most definitely send me to sleep... but my daughter has a canny sixth sense, anytime she feels me or her mother are drifting to sleep she rouses herself enough to prevent us.

    Jeeves and Wooster is very funny - I am enjoying it immensely! :D

    Cheers,
    Giles.

    ReplyDelete